Sunday, March 05, 2006

The New Girl, part 3

"Hello, she said, her voice quiet.

"Hi" the four of us said in unison.

Her eyes took in my desk, Jordan's desk, and the blank beige wall.

"My name is Frances," she stuck out her hand.

"Peter," I answered.

She shook my hand, gravely.

"Luka," he rumbled, hand over my shoulder.

"Julianne," she reached over, smiling at Franny.

"Jordan," he gave her the invisible hat tip.

We all fell silent. I opened my mouth to ask her why she had identified herself as 'Frances', when I felt, more than actually saw, the warning glance from Julianne.

"Well, nice to meet you all," she said, sticking her hands in her pockets, "I have to put my desk together and go pick up some files."

"Nice to meet you, too," we all answered at once, again.

"Do you need help finding anything?" Luka asked, leaning into her slightly.

Her gaze made the steady 360 around the room again.

"I do, but I am not sure it is something you could help me with," she said, a touch of melancholy flitting across her features.

"Try me," Luka smiled. "At least let me give you a tour, starting with the lunchroom."

She hesitated, then gave a quick nod. "Okay, why not? It's good to know where the coffee is, at least."

"Working here?" Julianne raised her eyebrows, "sometimes you need something a little stronger than coffee. Give her the tour Luka. Welcome to the WME, Frances."

They locked eyes. Franny G. broke into a slow smile.

"Call me Franny," she grinned at Juli, then turned and followed Luka through the double doors.

"What was that?" I asked, feeling left out. After all, Franny G. was MY hero - and she and Julianne had just had some mysterious bonding moment that had flown right by me.

"Later, Peter." Julianne looked at us pointedly. "I have a feeling things are going to get veeeerrrry interesting around here."

Jordan and I stared at each other, baffled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Wild Bill is the creator of Kelly Mahan Jaramillo
Free Web Counter
Web Counter