Sunday, March 26, 2006

Dinner

Well, Franny joined us for dinner last night. Renee was practically foaming at the mouth for decorating advice, I think Luka has a serious crush, and Jordan seemed to finally "get it". Thank God. He can be so obstinate sometimes, but that's one of the reasons I love him. When he finally comes around, he is a good sport about being endlessly and mercilessly teased.

We filled her in on the horrors of working at the WME bit by bit, and, after rather copious amounts of beer and wine had been consumed, gave her the hard lowdown - that nobody ever leaves of their own volition. She took it well, especially since we let her know that we were hard at work on an escape plan.

Jordan had suggested we not scare her by telling her everything, but once we got rolling into dinner, she expressed her anger that her workspace had been invaded, and said she was going to quit.

"Oh no!" Julianne had just taken a sip of wine and nearly choked. Jordan shot her a warning look.

"What?" Franny had said, understandably taken aback by Juli's reaction.

"Um, uh, you can't quit, um, you just got here, and we really like you, and, uh...."she trailed off helplessly, shooting an apologetic glance back at Jordan.

Jordan emitted one of his long-suffering sighs, and inwardly I rolled my eyes. Julianne does not have a poker face.

"Hey, guys, c'mon, I appreciate being included and making new friends, but really, I've only been here, what, two weeks? I'll request a transfer and you guys will get over it. Seriously."

What could we do? We had to tell her.

Like I said, she took it remarkably well, although she immediately ordered a full carafe of wine.

After we gave her the details of the escape plan, she was quiet.

We were all holding our breathe, nobody wants to be informed that they are a prisoner, it's a shock to the system, and besides, it's rude.

"You know," she took a long pull of her wine. "I might be able to help. I am still in touch with DHHG Secretary Kenneth L. Kenneth."

She paused, looking into her glass and swirling the contents around.

" What is it?" Jordan asked.

"Nothing, I.... well, I think this information might explain Kenneth's weird response when I told him about being transferred over here....." she trailed off.

"What?" I asked, "What did he say?"

"What do you mean weird?" Luka said.

"Your old boss, right?" Renee asked.

We were all pelting her with questions, when Jordan cut in and we immediately shut up.

"Franny," Jordan's voice was urgent, "do you think you can trust him?"

She looked at each of us for a very long time.

"I don't know," she said, biting on her thumbnail. "But I'm sure as hell going to find out."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Wild Bill is the creator of Kelly Mahan Jaramillo
Free Web Counter
Web Counter